VOLUNTEERS PROJECT RUTA DEL SOL PROGRAM
Name of the project: Ruta del Sol
Project Description: This “Study and Travel” program explores the central part of the Pacific coast of Ecuador, often called the “Ruta del Sol.” The province of Manabí boasts many fine beaches, small fishing villages, and the Machalilla National Park, a dry forest reserve that stretches from the steep hills inland down to the sea. Canoa is the first destination on the coast after leaving Quito. A beautiful 17-km beach near to San Vicente, Canoa is a very peaceful and relaxed beach-side fishing town, with a wonderful beach, medium sized waves, and natural caves at the cliff base to the north. This beach has become a meeting place for hang gliders, surfers and windsurfers. Horses are available for rent, or tours around the area. A visit to Bahia de Caraquez, a self-declared eco-aldea (eco-town), is a great opportunity to sample the fine seafood dishes of the area. Puerto Lopez is the second base for students to explore the surrounding region. Set in a beautiful bay, this laid-back fishing port is an ideal place to relax, enjoy seafood and the beach-side fresh juice bars. Day trips to Agua Blanca, inside the national park, with its archeological site, museum, sulphur springs, and hikes through dry forest, as well as Los Frailes beach, one of the most beautiful and well-preserved beaches in the world.
Departure on Sunday night from Quito at 8:00 pm to Bahia de Caraquez
Breakfast in Bahia de Caráquez befote taking a boat across the bay to Canoa (45 minutes approx) Settle in to accommodation and relax before lunch. Spanish class in the afternoon.
Set off to Manta after breakfast to take a bus that winds down the coast on the “Ruta del Sol” to Puerto Lopez. Spanish classes taken en route.
Settle into accommodation and explore Puerto Lopez in the evening.
Spanish class after breakfast. After lunch visit the community of Agua Blanca, the first ecotourism destination on the Ecuadorian coast.
Visit the prehistoric archaeological site, originally home to the Manteña culture, bathe in the sulphur springs, explore the dry forest, browse for local made crafts.
Return to Puerto Lopez for dinner.
Spanish class after breakfast. After lunch visit Los Frailes beach, inside the Machalilla National Park. Ideal for sunbathing, swimming, hiking the trails, snorkelling (depending on the time of year), and whale watching (depending on the time of year).
Return to Puerto Lopez for dinner.
Spanish class after breakfast. After lunch walk to the look out point in Puerto Lopez.
Program ends in the afternoon.
What to bring:
• Insect repellent
• Bathing suit
• Light clothing
• 20 hours of spanish classes
• Transport Quito-Bahía de Caráquez- Canoa- Puerto Lopez
• All transport during the week
• 5 nights accommodation (or alternatively 4 nights and return fare by bus to Quito)
• Breakfast and lunch
• Entry to Machalilla National Park (Agua Blanca and Los Frailes)
- Dinner (from about $4 upwards)
- Personal spending or additional activities not
included in the program outlined above
1 Student : 1 Teacher
2 StudentS : 1 Teacher
Optional activities once classes finish on the Friday are visits to:
• Salango Island: for snorkeling, picnic and exploration.
• Isla de la Plata: (known as the Poor Man’s Galapagos) to see some of the same species as live on the Galapagos, snorkeling and picnic
• Montañita: the local party and surfer seaside town
• Bola de Oro: to explore the ecology of dry forest and rainforest right next to each other
• Continue traveling south on the Ruta del Sol to Guayaquil
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN