NUEVO AMANECER VOLUNTEER PROJECT
Name of the project: Nuevo Amanecer
Project Description: Nuevo Amanecer is a rehabilitation center that works mainly with drug addicts and alcoholics. Between twenty and thirty people (ages eighteen to sixty years old) reside at the center at a time, with most staying a little over a year. During this period, the project offers therapeutic programs to help with recovery and healing.
During the first three days of their stay, residents do not have to participate in the normal activities and are instead encouraged to adjust to their new surroundings. Afterwards, they begin the introduction to the program, the rules, and the ultimate goals. With the help of the program, the residents are encouraged to discover more about themselves including what has led them to their current situation as well as how to analyze and resolve their problems. Working within this center are a director, administrator, a nurse and a voluntary psychologist.
Volunteer Responsibilities: There is a wide variety of tasks to be completed by the volunteers in this project. You can teach English, organize sporting events, construct music and theater workshops, as well as create educational speeches on various topics. An important part of your responsibilities would include conversing and listening to the residents. By doing so, you will be participating in an integral part of their transformation, helping build self-confidence and aiding in their recovery. The project is always open to any new ideas or variations from the daily routine. If your experience and level of Spanish allows it, you can work independently in a small group setting.
Minimum Stay Required: 3 weeks
• Social workers
• Volunteers without specific studies
Required Level of Spanish: Basic to Intermediate
Typical Workday Hours: 9am – 1pm or 3pm – 7pm
• Transportation from Cusco airport
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Introduction to project with in country coordinator
• First accommodation option in a volunteer shared apartment
• Second accommodation option in a host family (for an additional 50 dollar/week- three meals included)
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, game nights (once a week)
• Horseback riding or white water rafting excursions
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency contact available 24 hours a day
• The support of our local staff and coordinators
• A T-shirt from our organization
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish level after classes
• Administration costs
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses
• Tickets to tourist sites
• Extra tours or excursions
Option: If you would like our organization to arrange your flight from Lima to Cusco and an overnight stay in a hotel in Lima, the extra cost will amount to 327 dollars.
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
If you would like our organization to arrange your flight from Lima to Cusco and an overnight stay in a hotel in Lima, the extra cost will amount to 327 dollars.
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN