VOLUNTEER PROJECT INFORMATION – PARQUE ITCHIMBIA
Name of the project: Reforestation and environmental marketing in a park in Quito
Location: Located right between Quito’s Old Town and New Town, the park is very centrally located. J.M Aguuirre N4-108 y Concepción, Quito,
Project Description: Park Itchimbía is 54 hectacres of land situated on a hill over looking the heart of Quito, on land that until very recently was disused and polluted. After cleaning and fixing up the space, this park now includes green spaces, areas of reforestation, a Cultural Centre, a natural amphitheatre, a nursery and areas for education and activities for children.
Range of volunteer tasks: Volunteers can assist with the Park’s reforestation projects, gardening, cleaning and maintenance, and with waste management and recycling programs. The park is in constant need of maintenance so that the native plants can thrive. They are also always looking for people to help them translate promotional material into English for them to post on the web. Students of relevant courses or professionals can also develop research projects in conjunction with the Park.
Minimum amount of time: One week
Level of Spanish required: High beginner - Intermediate
Other skills required: Willingness and ability to carry out manual labor, including lifting, weeding, and planting.
Schedule: To be arranged but there is generally more activity in the morning and it often rains in the afternoon which means volunteers can’t do reforestation work outside. Administrative tasks and transtating can be done in the afternoon.
• Transportation from the airport of Quito
• Introductory tour
• Welcome dinner
• 20 hours of Spanish lessons
• Transportation to the project after class
• Transportation back to Cusco
• Accommodation in a shared apartment (Family house with bedroom, it is possible to have three meals a day for a fee of 30 euros / week during the course).
• Accommodation in a carefully selected bedroom
• Salsa lessons, cooking lessons, games during the Spanish lessons (once a week)
• Games during the language course
• Teaching materials for the course
• Support / contact person in the project
• Emergency number of the local teams are available 24 hours to 24 hours
• The support of our local staff
• A T-shirt from our organization
• The support of our coordinators of our, in advance experimented, programs during and after your trip
• Certificate of your participation in the project
• Certificate of your Spanish course
• A ride on horseback or rafting
• Administration costs
• School activities every weekend (extra charge)
• National and international flights
• Travel insurance
• Personal expenses for leisure
• Tickets to tourist sites
(Incl. spanish lessons one week)
(Incl. spanish lessons four weeks)
Extra week Spanish lessons
Extra week accommodation
PROJECT WITH CHILDREN